Wednesday, May 27, 2009































Because I can swim in the immense

Because I can swim in all forms

Because I am the launch woman

Because I am the sacred opposum

Because I am the Lord opposum



I am the woman Book that is beneath the water, says

I am the woman of the populous town, says

I am the shepherdess who is beneath the water, says

I am the woman who shepherds the immense, says

I am a shepherdess and I come with my shepherd, says


Because everything has its origin

And I come going from place to place from the origin...

Álvaro Estrada, María Sabina: Her Life and Chants, Ross-Erikson Publishers, 1981. Recorded July 21-22, 1956, by R. Gordon Wasson in Huautla de Jiménez, Oaxaca (Mushroom Ceremony of the Mazatec Indians of Mexico, Folkways Records, FR 8975)

Maria Sabina

No comments: